although I'm still working on construction, I realized I haven't posted any pictures from the patternmaking and cutting portion of the adventure. Unfortunately, I'm not very used to remembering to take pictures! Here are a few:
this project is going to have three layers for Amber. Because I want it all the necklines to lineup, I decided to make patterns for the necklines with tracing paper so that I could see how they would overlap in the finished product. What are you see here is the back pattern for her top layer, a corsetage, and a working pattern on which I have traced a potential neckline for the front of the gown. By placing them next which other on the table, I guarantee they're going to line up and so together nicely.
It had been a while since I had sewn for a crown and when Andrew and Amber won the 2017 Spring Crown Tournament it seamed the perfect time to get back into it. Although they had reigned five times prior, this was their first reign here in the Kingdom of Atenveldt (Arizona.) I offered to sew for them to try and make them feel welcome and because I am a royalist. I like my Crowns on a pedestal!
After enlisting my partner in crime, Kisa (Carissa Sortman) to help with some sketches, we decided on 12th Century. See inspiration pics below. Note: I know the color images are an artist interpretation and shouldn't be taken as gospel truth but I LOVE THEM!
As Andrew and Amber typically do early period garb (viking, slavic, etc.) I wanted to keep the fabrics natural so I chose Linen for the under gowns and dupioni silk for the top gowns. I chose earthy colors in combination with our kingdom colors of azure (blue) and or (gold.)
As I write this I have nearly all the garment cut and serged. I will try to remember to take some progress pictures and post them soon. Whee!!